Trauma Director Puts Patients First

Emergency vehicle heading towards an emergency room

As he marks his first year as Medical Director of Trauma at UConn Health, Dr. Ryan Millea hasn’t lost focus on what drives him, whether responding at a moment’s notice to the surgical needs of a car accident victim or to an intensive care patient with a life-threatening gastrointestinal burst.

“My philosophy is to always deliver patient-centered care,” says Millea, who is also a general and critical care surgeon. “I’m very hands-on to improve a patient’s overall experience. No one likes being sick, so I try to make things as seamless and smooth as possible from preoperative care to recovery.”

I’m very hands-on to improve a patient’s overall experience.

Millea applies this attitude not only on a patient-by-patient level but also through large-scale initiatives to better the experience of all surgical and critical care patients.
For one, Millea is leading efforts to make UConn John Dempsey Hospital an American College of Surgeons–verified trauma center, improving systems to optimize trauma care and become a certified center of excellence for patients in the Farmington Valley.

In addition to overseeing the treatment of each critically ill trauma patient at UConn Health, Millea’s board certifications and experience in general surgery and surgical critical care mean he can provide a wide range of skilled care.

“My experience as a critical care surgeon allows me to treat the highest- risk patients who have complex, coexisting medical issues such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, and lung disease,” Millea says.

As a general surgeon, Millea focuses primarily on surgeries involving the gastrointestinal tract, including appendix or gallbladder removals and hernia surgeries.
Because of his dedication to maintaining an excellent experience for his patients, the majority of general surgical procedures Millea conducts are outpatient, minimally invasive procedures, often done laparoscopically. Recently, Millea and other general surgeons at UConn Health began offering robotic general surgery operations for such procedures as complex hernia repair.

A Massachusetts native, Millea says UConn Health is the perfect place to put his unique skill set to use.

“I joined UConn Health to be part of an academic medical institution with a strong focus on patient care. A cutting-edge academic medical center affords each of my patients access to the most modern approaches and treatments for their surgical diseases.”